The Appalachian Trail Community™ program is designed to recognize communities that promote and protect the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Towns, counties, and communities along the A.T.’s corridor are considered assets by all that use the A.T. and many of these towns act as good friends and neighbors to the Trail. The program serves to assist communities with sustainable economic development through tourism and outdoor recreation, while preserving and protecting the A.T.
Designation as an Appalachian Trail Community™ and participation in the program is aimed to:
- Engage community citizens, Trail visitors and stewards
- Recognize and thank communities for their service to the Trail and hikers
- Act as a catalyst for enhancing sustainable economic development
- Aid local municipalities and regional areas with conservation planning
- Help local community members see the Trail as a resource and asset
SHORT TERM BENEFITS
- National designation network and communication
- Recognition and visibility through signage, press releases, Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s website and publications
- Enhanced partnerships with public land agencies and volunteers
- Teacher eligibility for an ATC place-based education and service-learning program
LONG TERM BENEFITS
- Increased community environmental stewardship
- Increased sense of place and cultural sustainability
- Trail-friendly promotion through ATC-assisted marketing techniques
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy supports the Let's Move! initiative and encourages communities to take part in Let's Move! Outside and Lets Move! Cities and Towns.
To view the Appalachian Trail Community blog, CLICK HERE.
To apply for the Appalachian Trail Community program download the application below:
For more information about the Appalachian Trail Community program, please contact Julie Judkins at [email protected]
Are you a business or organization in an A.T. Community? Do you give back to the Trail, your local A.T. Club, ATC or your A.T. Community? We want to support you! Click here to get recognized for your efforts as an A.T. Supporter: AT Community Supporter