ATC Announces Intent to Sell Kellogg Conservation Center

Date Published: Sep 06, 2017

Public Statement:

ATC Proposes Sale of Kellogg Conservation Center 

Kellogg Conservation Center in WinterIn 2004, Mary-Margaret Kellogg donated a 1744 historic home and 99-acre farm property to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Her love for “April Hill”, as she called it, led her to conserve the property as a means to protect the Appalachian Trail and to ensure that this beloved landscape would be available for the enjoyment of generations to come. Mrs. Kellogg transferred the property to the ATC with conservation or historic restrictions on all of the parcels.

The Kellogg Conservation Center Property (KCC) is located in South Egremont, Massachusetts at 62 Undermountain Road (Route 41). The five parcels comprising the property, consisting of 99.08 acres in total, are protected by four separate restrictions:

  • Parcel 1 (4.136 acres): Mostly open land. Contains historic buildings, available parking, apple orchard, under Historic Preservation Restriction with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
  • Parcel 2 (49.583 acres): Mostly cleared, tillable land, under Agricultural Preservation Restriction (APR) with Massachusetts Dept. of Agriculture.
  • Parcel 3 (10.519 acres): Mostly rolling pasture, under Scenic Restriction with the National Park Service.
  • Parcel 4 (4.246 acres): Cleared, pasture land, under Conservation Restriction (CR) with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
  • Parcel 6 (30.594 acres): Mostly wooded land with open field, pond, and stream, under Conservation Restriction with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

There are several historically significant buildings on Parcel 1 including the Westover-Bacon-Potts (WBP) House (1744) — an excellent example of a saltbox, Georgian-style farmhouse. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and is the oldest and most well-preserved farmstead in South Egremont.

For more than a decade, the ATC has managed the historic buildings, maintained the property as a working farm, hosted educational and trail stewardship programs open to the community, and staffed a regional office on site. In addition, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has also administered their southern New England regional trails programs out of the Center since 2007.

A task force appointed by the ATC’s Board of Directors has looked at all existing ATC facilities, either owned by the organization or occupied by ATC staff, and has decided it is in the best interest of the organization to transfer ownership of the Kellogg Conservation Center. The Board of Directors’ decision follows a detailed review and analysis of the property’s development limitations, the level of investment required to improve and manage the historic buildings, and competing opportunities for ATC’s investment in other facilities along the Trail. The ATC will be seeking a new owner for this unique property and, in doing so, will ensure that all of Mrs. Kellogg’s intentions to protect and preserve the property’s conservation and historic values are honored.

Contact: Hawk Metheny
New England Regional Director
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
158 Sweetwater Drive
White River, VT 05001
Phone: 802.281.5890
[email protected]
www.appalachiantrail.org




Leave a comment