May 29, 2019, 17:55 PM
Washington, DC Region
Membership and Development
VP of Membership and Development
The Grants Officer will work closely with the Vice President of Membership & Development and the conservation team to develop and implement exciting and effective strategies to increase foundation grant revenue for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) and meet or exceed annual fundraising goals.
- Identify and execute ATC’s annual grants strategy, schedule, and work plan to meet or exceed the annual foundation grants revenue goal.
- Collaborate with ATC’s conservation staff to develop, write and submit persuasive and effective LOIs, grant proposal packages and reports, following internal review and approval processes, and internal and external deadlines.
- Develop and maintain an LOI, proposal and report schedule for foundation donors and prospects to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Research, plan and prepare for foundation donor/prospect visits conducted by the CEO and VP of Membership & Development.
- Develop and maintain a current list of grant-fundable ATC programs and budgets.
- Continually research, identify and solicit new foundation prospects and identify and initiate outreach strategies.
- Plan and conduct face-to-face visits and other communications strategies with donors and prospects to cultivate, solicit and steward foundation grants.
- Manage a revolving portfolio of current and prospective foundation donors.
- Conduct follow-up activities for foundation donor/prospect visits and events.
- Monitor grant-funded programs to ensure program deliverables and budgets are on track and aligned with grant proposals and agreements.
- Develop effective and efficient internal grants processes and procedures and provide grants training to ATC staff members, as needed.
- Prepare other written materials for foundation donors and prospects, including correspondence, solicitation materials, profiles for A.T. Journeys magazine, acknowledgements, etc.
- Maintain foundation donor and prospect records in the ATC donor database.
- Track and monitor foundation revenue and work with the VP of Membership & Development to adjust strategies accordingly to ensure annual revenue goals are achieved.
- Provide regular revenue and activity reports to the VP of Membership & Development.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- At least three years of demonstrated success in securing foundation grant revenue.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent donor/prospect research skills.
- Proficient word processing, spreadsheet and database skills.
- Ability to problem-solve and meet multiple deadlines.
- High degree of initiative.
- Team player.
- Work environment is in a multi-person office situation with moderate noise. Field work may include the use of power tools not exceeding 120 decibels. (PPE provided)
- Regular use of a computer is required; Microsoft Office, ESRI GIS, and Google applications are used.
- Must be able to provide or arrange transportation to field sites (rental and mileage reimbursement provided).
- Requires valid state driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Incumbent may be exposed to hazardous physical conditions and seasonal exposure to extreme weather conditions, including rain, snow, humidity, intense heat, and sunlight.
- Incumbent must be able to handle heavy brush, walk for extended periods, stand for long periods, perform routine moderate lifting, and to carry up to 50 pounds in a backpack over a minimum of three miles, traverse rough uneven terrain, and wet and slippery surfaces.
- Some travel required -- approximately 10% of the time, primarily on the East Coast.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, email and in person.
- Working on the phone or computer for prolonged periods.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Full Time