Associate Director of Outreach and Philanthropy
Feb 3, 2020, 09:29 AM
Flexible along the Trail, but must be near major city and airport
Director of Development
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) seeks experienced candidates for a new Associate Director of Outreach and Philanthropy to join our Advancement team. This position requires a love for the Appalachian Trail and an appreciation for the outdoors, sensitivity, diplomacy and a passion for building meaningful relationships. In this role you will balance prospect identification and solicitation, develop proposals, contribute your ideas to strategic planning, plan and represent the ATC at events, and work to build meaningful, donor-centric relationships that lead to a lifelong connection to the ATC. You will report to the Director of Development.
- Developing solicitation goals, objectives and highly personalized strategies for existing and prospective donors to foster a sense of lifelong connection to the ATC.
- Arranging and completing in depth one-on-one donor meetings to deepen relationships, with the goal of soliciting and closing gifts for the organization.
- Soliciting gifts both independently and collaboratively with staff and board members.
- Working with staff to share and exchange pertinent information about donors, strategies, activities and events.
- Working closely with staff to develop a deep and comprehensive understanding of the unique history of the ATC and all of its project and program areas.
- Documenting moves management process; ensuring key donor information is recorded and pertinent research is captured.
- Tracking solicitation efforts, progress and overseeing the recognition of assigned donors.
- Assisting in the planning and coordination fundraising events.
- Conducting follow-up activities for major donor/prospect visits and events.
- Planning and implementing major donor recognition strategies.
- Preparing written materials for major donors and prospects, including correspondence, solicitation materials, profiles for A.T. Journeys magazine, acknowledgements, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the mission of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
- 4+ years of successful fundraising experience.
- Confidant and creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Exceptionally polished written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor messaging to the interests of donors.
- Ability to understand a highly complex organization and articulate the organization’s work compellingly to donors.
- High degree of integrity, sensitivity and good judgment in working with donors and handling confidential information.
- Knowledge of charitable trends and fundraising campaign strategy.
- Computer savvy and able to learn new systems quickly.
- Frequent travel required – approximately 40% of the time, primarily on the East Coast.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, email and in person.
- Working on the phone or computer for prolonged periods.
- Flexible, but must be in or near a major city and airport on the East Coast between Georgia and Maine.
- Candidates must have a home or location with secure internet access from which to work.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Full Time